As a new mom, I needed ideas for things to do with a newborn in the summer so I could get out of the house and enjoy the beautiful weather with my baby. It can be challenging managing the heat, sun, and a new addition to the family, so here are some ideas to keep you from feeling cooped up that your newborn will also enjoy. I’ve found indoor and outdoor activities for babies, both at home and away from home, so you have options depending on the weather and what you’re in the mood for! Many of these activities are free, too!
Newborns may not be old enough to really appreciate some of these activities – they may even sleep through them! And if you have other children, these are great things you can all do together.
Outdoor activities for babies at home in the summer
Gorgeous weather, but don’t want to drag everyone out of the house and pack up all the baby gear? Here are some things you can do outside at home. If it’s hot out, it may be best to do these activities in the morning or evening when temperatures are cooler.
- Play in a kiddie pool (check them out on Amazon). Keep everyone cool and have fun splashing. If your baby is too small to sit up on their own, climb in with them, sit them on your lap and splash together.
- Explore the backyard. Look for animals, bugs, flowers, and check out the yard together.
- Blow bubbles.
- Take a walk around the neighborhood in the stroller.
- Have a picnic. Invite a friend or relative over and have lunch outside.
Indoor activities for babies at home
If it’s too hot outside, you may want to stay home but still need to entertain yourself and the kids. Of course these activities aren’t limited to summer only, you can do many of these year round.
1. Read out loud. This is a great way to have fun with all of your kids! (Check out my favorite books for babies under 6 months!)
2. Convert the kiddie pool into a ball pit or playpen inside.
3. Have a photo shoot. Dress your baby up (how about the best nerdy baby outfits? Or a funny pacifier?), get out the cute blankets to use as a background and snap away! Friends and family will love seeing photos and videos of your little one.
4. Play in the bathtub together. Even if your baby is too young to sit up on their own, put them on your lap and prop them up in the tub with you. This sounds refreshing on a hot day!
Outdoor places to take babies away from home in the summer
Is the weather nice, and you’re ready to leave the house? Here are ideas for places to take your newborn outside away from the house in the summer.
- Hike. Search online for paved trails or stroller friendly trails nearby and take a walk somewhere new.
- Go to a park. Play on the playground, look at nature, or have a picnic in the shade.
- Go to the beach. Personally, I think the beach would be too sunny, and my baby would just get sand in her diaper, but maybe that’s because I don’t have a beach near my house.
- Splash pad. Are there any neighborhood splash parks for your little ones?
- Zoo. A great chance to show your newborn animals and teach them animal noises.
- Baseball game. Find seats in the shade, and enjoy a day at the ballpark. Good thing you won’t have to buy a $7 lemonade for the newborn!
- Camping. Folks who enjoy camping often try an easy one night stay at a campground near home with amenities before working up to more serious camping trips.
- Air show. An air show might be loud, but believe it or not, noise canceling headphones for babies are a thing (click to see them on Amazon)!
- Drive in movie. Have a date night in the privacy of your own car, or take all the kids to the new movie they want to see. If your newborn starts crying, only the people in your car will hear!
Inside places to take babies away from home
Going stir crazy at home, but it’s too hot or sunny to be outdoors? Try these activities, which are indoors and might even have air conditioning! These aren’t just limited to summertime!
- Visit the library. Pick out a few books to read to your newborn, or go to story time!
- Aquarium. Much cooler than the zoo and you’ll be out of the sun.
- Baby gym class. Many gyms offer infant classes or Mommy and Me swimming, yoga and aerobics classes. It’s a great way to meet new moms too!
- Play group or new moms group. Check Facebook for local get-togethers.
- Children’s museum. Children’s museums often have areas specifically for infants with large, colorful objects, as well as sections for toddlers and older children.
- Visit a pet store. Babies love animals. My six week old will watch the dog for hours if he’s near her. To a newborn, the pet store is just as good as the zoo. As a bonus, the pet store has free admission and air conditioning!
- Take the stroller and walk the mall. A good way to stretch your legs on a hot day! Invite a friend and walk around for awhile.
- And of course, there’s always the option to do what you normally like to do and take your baby and a stroller. They will enjoy looking around at new environments. Talk or sing while you’re doing everyday stuff and show them the world around you!
Tips for preparing a newborn for summer activities
How do you prepare your newborn for summer activities? First, it’s important to limit sun exposure. Babies cannot wear sunscreen until they are 6 months old due to their sensitive skin. This means if you are outside during the day, your baby should be under the stroller cover, an umbrella, or in the shade. If you are near water, remember that sunlight will reflect off it onto your baby. A sun hat, available on Amazon or at stores like Walmart or Target, will help keep sun off of your baby too.
Second, your baby should be dressed in similar clothes to you. If it’s very warm, a onesie or even just a diaper may be plenty for a newborn in summer weather. At the mall or other indoor locations, the air conditioning may be cold, bring a blanket to cover up your baby.
Are you breastfeeding? Consider that you may have to feed your baby outside in the summer heat with a nursing cover. If going to your car is convenient, you can turn on the AC, get out of the sun, and have some privacy.
As with any outing with small children, be prepared with the diaper bag and any other necessities for yourself, like a cold drink.
And be flexible! Life with babies can be difficult to plan, so relax and have fun this summer!
What do you like to do with your newborn in the summer time? Let me know in the comments!
Read some Nerdy Movie Trivia out loud to your baby!
Need more entertainment? Check out Parenting Jokes & Memes! Or Parenting Jokes & Memes 2!
Looking for more activities? How about Game of Thrones Handprint Art on Canvas with your Kids!?