Cat-Friendly Baby Gates: Reviews and Buying Guide
As a parent, you have the huge responsibility of child-proofing your house for your little one’s safety. Almost 25% of American households own cats [Source], and babyproofing your house in a way that works for your cat is challenging .
Cat-friendly baby gates are a must, especially when your little one starts crawling to explore. Babies are curious, and it’s exciting when your little one starts to crawl across the house. However, you need to make sure that your baby will stay where you want them to be for maximum safety.
Placing a cat-friendly baby gate at hallways, doors, the bottom or top of the stairs to protects your child. At the same time, it will allow your feline to move freely. In this article, we’ll list the best cat-friendly baby gates on the market and factors that you should take into consideration before buying yours.
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews of the Best Cat-Friendly Baby Gates
- 2 Why Should You Buy a Cat-Friendly Baby Gate?
- 3 How to Choose the Best Cat-Friendly Baby Gate
- 4 Conclusions- Cat-friendly baby gates
As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you.
Reviews of the Best Cat-Friendly Baby Gates
A cat-friendly baby gate will be a necessary obstacle in front of a curious child but won’t stop your little kitty from moving into another room when necessary. You can keep your child in their playroom, and the cat will move to reach its food plate or litter box when necessary. Here are our top picks.
KINGSO Auto Close Safety Baby Gate
Even if you have an enthusiastic toddler, he or she won’t be able to climb over the KINGSO Auto Close Safety Baby Gate (available on Amazon) because it’s 30 inches high. This gate is made of sturdy steel, and the pressure mounting makes the job easier. It can also be screwed to the wall to withstand impact. It comes with all the tools that you need for installation.
The Kingso baby gate features a double lock system for extra safety. Toddlers will find it impossible to open this gate without your help, while your pet will be able to leave the room whenever they need to. The gate also comes with two extension kits, so it will fit perfectly wherever you choose to install it.
You shouldn’t worry if you forget to close the gate because it automatically closes when you leave it open at less than 90 degrees. The pet gate measures 10.1 x 7.6 inches, just about all cats will fit through while crawling or walking babies won’t!
The gate swings in both directions, so it can fit in any space. However, putting this gate together takes some time and can be a little challenging.
=Related post: Our top tips to baby-proof your pet’s food and water bowls=
What We Like
- The steel gate includes two extension kits.
- It can be pressure mounted or drilled for increased safety.
- Double safety lock system prevents children from opening it.
- Swings in both directions for maximum versatility.
- Automatically closes when left open at less than 90 degrees.
- The opening that fits most pets but not children.
What We Don’t Like
- This gate is difficult to put together.
MYPET North States 38″ wide 36″ tall Petgate Passage
Installing the MYPET North States 38″ wide, 36″ tall Petgate Passage baby gate doesn’t require any tools or hardware, as you simply push it into place to secure it. It’s available in two heights, either 36 or 42 inches, so even an enthusiastic toddler won’t be able to climb it.
The wide door features a comfortable handle that can easily fit into your grip for easy access. Moreover, there’s a swing control lever that allows the door to open in both directions. You can also activate the stopper, so it opens in a single direction.
This door can fit doors and hallways between 29.8 to 38 inches wide and features a 9.5 x 8 inches opening for your cat. The door is made of high-quality metal and a matte bronze finish, so it looks great and matches all types of décor.
You can also extend it to fit a wider door or opening area by purchasing an extension that increases the gate’s length to 65.6 inches. However, due to the huge size of this door, you might need to add some adhesive pads for extra stability.
What We Like
- Simple pressure mounting with no tools.
- Three mounting options: pressure mount, adhesive pads, or drill into the door frame
- Tall gate to restrict the movement of your child.
- Extension available for extra-wide doorways or openings.
- It opens in both directions.
What We Don’t Like
- You need to buy the extension separately.
- The addition of adhesive pads might be necessary.
Carlson Lil Tuffy Metal Expandable Gate
You won’t need any tools to install the Carlson Lil Tuffy Metal Expandable Gate (available on Amazon). Plus, it won’t damage or scuff your walls. This gate can be adjusted between 22 and 38 inches wide, so it works for all doors and entrances. It’s an excellent choice for rentals because you press it against the wall, and remove it whenever you want. It’s easy to assemble and doesn’t need any screws.
It features a small 9 x 9 inches opening that is only big enough to let a small cat or dog out. Your child will be safe where you need them to be, and your cat will be able to leave the room when necessary. It’s made of durable steel, so it won’t bend or break. It also comes with a removable lock.
However, this gate is only 18 inches high, so it’s not suitable for an older toddler that might be able to climb over it. However, thanks to its low height, adults can always step over it with no issues.
What We Like
- Durable steel gate.
- Adjustable width to fit most doorways and openings.
- Easy set up with no tools.
- Removable lock.
- Low height so adults can step over it.
What We Don’t Like
- You may need a different gate once your child is big enough to climb over.
=Related post: Baby proof your floor heaters with these 11 easy tips!=
Why Should You Buy a Cat-Friendly Baby Gate?
A cat-friendly baby cat can be placed at the entrance of a restricted area like a kitchen or your office, as well as the bottom or top of your stairs. Here are a few reasons why you should invest in one.
- A cat-friendly baby gate keeps your child happy. He or she will have the freedom to crawl and even walk without getting into a room that contains dangerous objects like the tools in your garage or kitchen. Or the litterbox or cat food!
- When you have a gate that restricts movement in the house, your cat might be tempted to jump over it, and your toddler might be tempted to do the same. However, if there’s an opening that only fits your cat, your child will be safe.
- The cat-friendly baby gate will keep your house clean. A pet can be the perfect play companion and will teach your child about life, responsibility, and compassion. However, the gate allows your feline to leave the room when necessary, to go to its litter box, and keep your house mess-free.
How to Choose the Best Cat-Friendly Baby Gate
Baby proofing your house is essential for your child’s safety, and having a gate that fits your pet will make your house a more fun place for everyone. Here are a few things to think about when you’re shopping for a cat-friendly baby gate.
Size and Height
When you’re picking a gate, you need to make sure that it fits where you’re planning to install it. A gate that comes with an extension kit will be extremely versatile, as you can install it wherever you like. You should also pick a gate with a height that your child won’t be able to climb even when they get a little older.
You need to make sure that the pet opening is big enough to let your pet pass through. If it’s too small, your pet might get stuck, but a big opening might tempt your baby to crawl through.
Assembly and Installation
You need a gate that you can easily put together. Most gates require no prior assembly, but you might have to add an extension kit to fit the area where you need to install the cat-friendly baby gate.
In most cases, baby gates can be pressure mounted. This is an excellent choice for rentals because you can move the gate whenever you like. However, if you want your baby gate to be safely secured, choose model that you can drill and mount to the wall or door frame for more safety. This way, an enthusiastic toddler won’t be able to move it even if he or she pushes against it.
Picking a gate that opens in both directions is a big plus, as adults will be able to move freely through the gate. You should also think about a gate that comes with a lock. This will allow you to lock it when necessary, so an older toddler won’t be able to open the gate.
Conclusions- Cat-friendly baby gates
A cat-friendly baby gate is an excellent addition to your home because it helps you baby-proof your house without restricting the movement of your beloved pet. We recommend the KINGSO Auto Close Safety Baby Gate as our top choice because it’s durable enough to withstand everyday use, and unlike other models, this one can be drilled for more safety and security.
Plus, this gate comes with two extension kits, so it will fit anywhere you want to install it. And finally, the gate closes on its own when you leave it open at less than 90 degrees.
Best of luck with your new cat-friendly baby gate! I hope it keeps your little one out of the cat kibble or litter box!