Step by Step Guide: How to Change a Baby Girl’s Diaper
Many new parents want to know the step by step process on how to change a baby girl’s diaper. It’s simple and you’ll be a pro in no time since babies go through diapers very quickly!
Table of Contents
How to change a baby girl’s diaper
- Gather your supplies
- A place to change the baby
- A clean diaper and wipes
- Somewhere to throw away the dirty diaper
- Diaper cream
- Lay your baby down on her back on a changing pad, towel, or blanket on a flat surface
- Open the diaper tabs on the front of the diaper
- Hold your baby’s feet together and lift them up towards her tummy, pull out the used diaper, and throw it away
- Use a few wipes to quickly clean the worst of the mess from the baby’s bottom
- Wipe your baby girl from front to back. This prevents germs from getting into their genital area where it could cause an infection.
- Wipe the genital area quickly and gently. Do not use a lot of pressure. Simply wipe away any poop or pee that you can see.
- Wipe the folds between the thighs.
- Check to make sure your baby girl is all clean
- If you see any redness, apply diaper cream. For babies under 3 months, use petroleum jelly. After 3 months, any diaper rash cream can be used.
- Put the clean diaper on
- Put your baby’s clothes back on
=Related Post: How to get a proper diaper fit=
The proper way to wipe a baby girl
To properly wipe a baby girl, wipe from front to back. Gently clean any poop from her genital area without scrubbing. Finally, wipe between the folds of her thighs.
Related post: 10 simple tips to change a diaper without gagging
FAQ and other tips
- Keep a hand on your baby at all times so she doesn’t roll or wiggle off the changing area
- Newborn poop is much less smelly than toddler or adult poop
- If you are sensitive to smells, try breathing through your mouth
- Do not wipe a girl’s genital area excessively. If you see white discharge and it isn’t easily removed, leave it alone. This is normal.
- Change your baby before or after each feed. Many babies poop or pee just before, during, or after a feed.
- Many parents want to know- Do you wipe a baby girl every time they pee? No, you should change their diaper when they poop, which is approximately once per feeding. During that diaper change, wipe up any pee.
=Related Post: Is your baby’s diaper leaking? Learn how to avoid diaper blowouts and leaks=
Wrap up- How to change a baby girl’s diaper
There you have it! Changing a baby girl’s diaper is straightforward. At the end of the day, your job as a parent is to make sure she’s clean and comfortable. Now you know exactly how!
Resources- other diaper changing guides
- Pampers had a great guide on changing diapers
- And Wiki How has a very in-depth article!
- How to put on a diaper correctly
- How to change a two year old’s diaper